Toll-Free: +1(800) 821-2671 / 212-747-0001 LOGIN:  STUDENTS | TEACHERS


Student Visa

You can study in the US part time in our Semi-intensive program with a tourist visa. If you would like to study on a full time basis, you will need to obtain an F1 Student Visa. Students must study at least 18hrs/ week if they are issued an F1 Student Visa.

What is an F1 Student Visa?

An F1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for those wishing to study in the U.S. You must file an F1 visa application if you plan on entering the US to attend NYEC.

How to apply for a student visa

In order to apply for a student visa, you must first obtain an I-20 from an approved school. NYEC is approved by SEVP/ DHS to issue the form I-20. For NYEC to issue students the form I-20 the student must provide the following documents:

  1. Registration Fee for the course you plan on studying at NYEC
  2. A copy of your valid (un expired) passport
  3. Bank statement in your name showing that you have enough funds to cover the cost of your study and stay in New York. Example: 4 weeks of study + accommodations = $3,200. 8 Weeks would be $6,400, etc.
  4. You can also have a sponsor –someone who can sign a support letter and provide a bank statement showing they have the funds to support you while you are studying at NYEC.
  5. Once we have received these documents, we can issue you a letter of acceptance and a form I-20. You will need these ORIGINAL documents mailed to your home country.
  6. You will use your form I-20 to book your appointment at the Embassy to obtain your student visa and to pay your online SEVIS fee.

Pay the SEVIS fee

New students must pay the SEVIS fee before applying for an entry visa or entering the United States. This fee is charged by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is not charged by NYEC.

  1. SEVIS fee: You will not be able to pay the fee until you have your I-20 in your possession. For more about how to pay the fee, visit This fee is non-refundable.
  2. Locate the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country
    Embassy and consulate information, including locations and document requirements, is available online at
  3. Schedule your visa interview appointment
    Your local embassy or consulate will have specific instructions for scheduling an appointment. Waiting times for an appointment can be lengthy (up to several weeks or longer), especially

Prepare documents for your visa interview

All visa applicants must provide the following documents to the U.S. embassy or consulate at the time of the application

  • Valid passport
  • Form I-20
  • Admissions letter
  • Documented proof of financial support –Bank statement
  • Receipt of SEVIS fee payment
  • Visa application forms (available from the U.S. embassy/consulate)
  • Any documents requested by embassy/consulate

Processing Time to receive an I-20 from NYEC

Potential students are advised to register and apply for an I-20 as soon as possible. We require 5 business days to create an I-20 once we have received all required documents. During the summer (peak season) appointments at the embassy may take longer to obtain, apply as soon as possible up to 120 days prior to your program start date at NYEC. You can enter the U.S. 30 days prior to your program start date listed on your I-20 and student visa.

How long can I stay in the US with my student visa?

Students can study in the U.S. for as long as they wish as long as they are enrolled full time at an approved school and are making progress in their studies. Once you complete your studies at NYEC you have 60 days to leave the country.

Transferring my I-20

Once in the U.S. you can transfer from any school to NYEC provided that you have a valid active I-20

Maintain your student status

To stay in the U.S. legally you must maintain your F1 student visa active. All students studying at NYEC on an F1-student visa must attend 18hrs a week and make satisfactory academic progress. See student handbook for more information